Thursday, February 12, 2015

Day 16: Over the Hills and Through the Savannah

I can't believe this trip is almost over! It has been so incredible to spend so much quality time with my dad. It was another early morning today after a really great night of sleep. We checked out of the lodge and drove through the north side of the park on out we back to Kampala and saw lots more animals, including two fresh carcasses of a Cape buffalo and a Ugandan kob. We caught glimpses of elephants, giraffes, hartebeests, kob, antelope, buffalo, warthogs, baboons, and tons of birds. We rode today without the aide of a ranger and rifle. Isaac took good care of us. He really has been the perfect guide. He planned a fantastic itinerary to fit our needs and was so nice to spend time with. He's super intelligent and a great conversationalist; the man is saavy, diplomatic, and polite. Once we sadly left the gates of the park, drove over lots of rolling hills with expansive views, the horizon dotted with trees and lots of new, bright green grass. I napped a bit in the car. Even though I stopped taking the Maldarone, the medication which was probably making me sick, I was still nauseous and out of it. I perked up a bit after lunch. And by lunch I mean white basmati rice, toast, and a bottle of water. In the words of my friend Andrea when she was on the tail end of a debilitating pregnancy, I can't wait to want a salad again. I apologize to all women for that last comment, my one week of illness can not compare to pregnancy. As we finally approached the suburbs of Kampala, we hit a little traffic which turned to be some kind of incident which we never exactly deciphered, but saw the result of: a limp, bloodied shirtless man gasping for breath laying on the side of the road next to a bloody brick. We didn't see the attack, but saw people running away, some onto motorcycles, some by foot. Isaac hypothesized that there was a fight, perhaps he was a thief and there was some vigilante justice? It was pretty disturbing, regardless the cause. When we got to the Speke Hotel, our little bastion of the olde Colonial in the centre of Uganda, Dad and I had a spot of tea, relaxed, and laid low for the rest of the day. Tomorrow morning we check out and go sightseeing with Isaac and Geoffrey around Kampala before our late evening flight out of Entebbe. Our last day! I can not believe we'll be coming back to the States to bitter, freezing, wintery cold! Still nauseous, but relaxed, warm, and tan,

No comments:

Post a Comment